Thursday, November 18, 2010

Meet The Masters: Alexander McQueen

Alexander McQueen: Spring 2010 Collection
You've seen these shoes, right?

If you can't place just hunt down Lady Gaga's Bad Romance video. I'll wait.

Ahhhhhh!!! Now you remember them, right?

And I bet you're thinking the same thing I thought when I first saw them:

GOD! I WISH I HAD A PAIR.. OR TWO!!!

Well, ok.. that probably isn't what your first thought was but either way, they made an impression.

To me.. these are more works of art then shoes but I'd wear them. Even if only to tip around the house when no one was home.

Anyway .. I always do a little snarky eye roll when a designer branches out into shoes. It's one thing to have a passion for creating spectacular shoes (ie: Manolo Blahnik) but another to just do it as an off shoot to your fashion and accessories line (ie: Michael Kors).

I didn't mind so much with McQueen because he was just so uber-creative that I had the feeling if  he didn't branch out he would have exploded in a poof of Scottish plaid and glitter.

Growing up amid humble beginnings, McQueen made fashion his life at the age of 16. He apprenticed with many different tailors, honing the skills that would make him famous. At 21 he moved to Milan and worked along side Romeo Gigli ( no relation to any characters in the Jennifer Lopez movie ) and went on to earn a masters degree from Central St. Martin's College. Pretty impressive, indeed.

His first collection was a mix of his apprenticeships grabbed the fashion world's attention and made his mark as an up and coming force to be recognized.

McQueen was the ultimate fashion bad boy with frequent outburst and attitude .. who else could call Hubert de Givenchy irrelevant? .. but his show dripped in theatrics and his self titled label was blazing trails. He won numerous awards and was still respected by the fashion world. So much so that after his Givenchy line failed, he was given a second chance.

Gucci bought a controlling interest in his line in 2000, giving him greater controlling license. He continued to win awards and his clothes worn by some of the celebrity world's greatest fashionistas.

Sadly, McQueen died in February 2010.
McQueen "Faithful" peep toe boot
$1150.00


While McQueen's flair for the dramatic is legend, he did design a more ready to wear-ish line for normal wear.

If you consider dropping a paycheck normal. 

I did once *sigh* .. long before kids and their insatiable need to eat.

Anyway..

There's no doubt that even his causal and evening wear are works of art .. and for those of us who can't afford his price tag anymore, you know when you see a facsimile in places like DSW or Zappos or Endless where the inspiration comes from.


4 Sharing The Love:

Nicole Harry said...

I just came across your blog on blogsurfer! Love this cake post but that blue shoe is a Manolo. It's the Something Blue satin pump also known as the Sex and the City wedding shoe! Love the blog and look forward to seeing more!

Leese said...

Hi Nicole .. thanks for stopping by. I wasn't actually sure if was the SATC shoe or not so thanks for clearing that up for me!!

Nicole Harry said...

And they look so lovely sitting in my wardrobe too! Now just to find somewhere to wear them...

Leese said...

Girl please!!

When I need to go back to the pre-mom days, I head up to the attic where my babies are nestled in their protective boxes.. put some music on and strut around for awhile!!

The husband thinks I'm insane.. the kids are embarassed and I return feeling zen!! LOL!!

Post a Comment

It's All About The Shoes © 2008 | Coded by Randomness | Illustration by Wai | Design by betterinpink!